[MUD-Dev] Jeff's Rant: A World Full of Wheel-Makers

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue May 22 10:43:14 CEST 2001

Surely with MMORPGs, you have a more limited choice as you need an
engine capable of rendering out door geometry which a BSP based engine
(a la Quake 3, Unreal (not the latest unreleased one) etc. etc.) is
entirely unsuited for?

Of course not using BSP means that the gfx quality is generally below
peoples expectations. Is there actually an engine available that can
cover both indoor rendering and outdoor using a hybrid engine with
proper portaling? I was thinking the Tribes 2 engine might be able to
do it. In addition, Unreal 2 looks like it *might* be able to,
although the videos I've seen didn't seem to support anything like a
large enough outdoor area for an MMORPG.

Dan