[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

lhulbert at hotmail.com lhulbert at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 12:21:53 CEST 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q2/msg00866.php

On Thu, 17 May 2001 17:30:24 -0700 (PDT)
"Jussi 'Sulka' Haro" <sulka at sulake.com> wrote:

> I've given a thought for a user-driven reputation system for a
> MMORPG and the most interesting mechanism that has come to my mind
> works like this:

<SNIP>

> Each player can at any time determine whether they like or dislike
> any other player they meet in the game. When setting someone as a
> good, bad or "neutral" guy the player has the option of making the
> setting visibly or invisibly to the affected party. The vote can be
> changed at later time but there can be only one character->character
> relation (ie, no multiple votes for/against one character).

> The votes are calculated together on village basis, so that your
> standing is different towards different villages.

> When a player sees someone in the game, the character has a title
> based on the reputation respective to the home of the player. (Lord
> Ivan / Evil Ivan)

<SNIP>

While reading Raph's article "What Rough Beast?"
http://www.legendmud.org/raph/gaming/essay2.html I thought again of
this post. An extension of this system could be used to provide a
player-driven virtue/justice code.  Raph talks early on about the
difficulty of Virtues in a Multi-player world.  Expanding on Sulka's
idea of player votes arranged by 'home.' could be a set of virtues
that players can use to vote on for each other.  Each player could
give a vote 0 -2..+2 in catagories such as kindness, humility,
strength, generosity, loyalty, lawfulness, trustworthiness(sp?), etc.

Each town could emphasize a different set of virtues.  Klarg is a
warrior society, and values strength and bravery above all other
virtues.  Plaren is a peaceful city, where kindness and humility are
the most repected virtues.  Based on the virtues of a player's home
town, various criminal codes could be set up, where a -20
trustworthiness is considered a criminal, or perhaps a -50 loyalty?

Players could be 'deputized' to hunt others that don't qualify for the
local standards.  A virtual 'jury of your peers,' that needs no
judges.  The eyes of the law and the respect of the people who meet
you become the same.  The reactions of various NPC's could vary
depending on your strength of different virtues, as well.  Biff
respects strength, and gives a good deal to well-known warriors, while
Boffo gives deals to the people he thinks are generous.