[MUD-Dev] business models

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Fri May 25 10:09:05 CEST 2001

--On Wednesday, May 23, 2001 8:55 PM -0500 Jason Salem
<res06fsh at gte.net> wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> This is an extremely naive question from a tech POV I'm sure, but
>> why did anyone ever implement lockers? I have never understood the
>> necessity.

> In both Dragonrealms and Gemstone, the encumbrance systems penalize
> players that carry too much stuff.  There are combat penalties, and
> at least in Dragonrealms, it becomes more difficult to even stand up
> if you have a lot of stuff.  So the locker becomes the place to put
> extra stuff.

Not to mention being a convenient way to drain players' pockets in a
proportional manner. =)

> Also of minor note is that the houses/homes (the private room listed
> in the benefits list) aren't/can't be used for storage like a
> locker. They don't supercede the "stuff stuffing" role of the
> lockers/vaults.

Across the long term, no. Across the short term, it does allow them to
amass a "horde" for a brief period of time - we usually see this when
people are on "milk runs" and want to sell the loot as a block towards
the end (money has weight, bank has a per-transaction fee). We let it
go unless they start using public rooms for it because they're not
really getting away with anything, once the time they spend doing it
is factored in, so it's an acceptable trade-off.

-
Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                 206.246.120.2 3333