[MUD-Dev] JOB: How to get into Game Design / Game content

Jon Morrow Jon at Morrow.net
Fri May 25 18:25:38 CEST 2001

Taylor,

You might read my series of articles titled, "An Absolute Beginner's
Guide to MUD Programming" on gignews.com.  They are written for anyone
trying to get into "game programming," although the emphasis is on
starting and running your own free MUD.  As a general rule, you need
several years experience on free MUDs before anyone in the commercial
circles will seriously consider hiring you.

Already knowing a few programming languages will give you a large
boost, especially in the free MUD community.  When you are ready to
tackle commercial games (don't take this lightly), learn their
specific languages.  The general starting point is MOO or LPC.  From
what I've heard, the largest commercial games have similar languages.

To be a game designer or create content, concentrate on your
portfolio.  If you build a great area in a free MUD, put a few of the
room descriptions and/or quest logs in your portfolio.  On the game
design end, keep track of your design specs and have them illustrate
good software design principles.  Also keep track of the comments from
players and other designers.  A few dozen enthusiastic reviews of your
work, especially from respected people, can do wonders for your
chances of getting hired.

And there's always networking.  Like someone once told me, "Your
qualifications may get you a job, but it's the size of your Rolodex
that will ultimately determine your success.  You need to be able to
pick up the phone and make things happen."  For many of us game
developers that are socially challenged, this can be a real hurdle.
But if you ever want to lead a company, your networking skills have to
be at their best.  I speak from experience.

-Jon