[MUD-Dev] JOB: How to get into Game Design / Game content

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Fri May 25 23:40:51 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Morrow" <Jon at Morrow.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 6:25 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] JOB: How to get into Game Design / Game content

<SNIP>

> To be a game designer or create content, concentrate on your
> portfolio.  If you build a great area in a free MUD, put a few of
> the room descriptions and/or quest logs in your portfolio.  On the
> game design end, keep track of your design specs and have them
> illustrate good software design principles.  Also keep track of the
> comments from players and other designers.  A few dozen enthusiastic
> reviews of your work, especially from respected people, can do
> wonders for your chances of getting hired.

A lot of the advice has been on the end of a portfolio, be it levels
from an fps, areas designed on a mud, etc. So here are 2 more general
questions:

    1) Is it appropriate to send a portfolio with your resume? Most
    adverts ask for a cover letter & resume. Outside of the game
    industry, if they want a portfolio, they ask for one. I'm
    wondering if a portfolio is implied with a resume for these sorts
    of jobs.

    2) At least for the bigger companies, the resumes are to go to
    HR. Does a game designer/producer, etc, see the applications, or
    are they triaged based on some semi-standard formula prior to
    reaching the person who makes the decision?  Example of this is
    medical schools, where for many schools, the cutoff is 10 X GPA +
    MCAT score. If it's 70 or more, your application will definitely
    be viewed by the admission committee. [The actual number cutoff
    depends on what level of school, of course]. In the case of the
    game industry, would there be something like 5 years MUD
    experience, CS degree, 1 game title, etc?

    rayzam