[MUD-Dev] JOB: How to get into Game Design / Game content

Greg Underwood gunderwoodhsd at earthlink.net
Sat May 26 12:35:27 CEST 2001

At 11:40 PM 5/25/01 -0400, rayzam wrote:

> [...]

[cut]

> A lot of the advice has been on the end of a portfolio, be it levels
> from an fps, areas designed on a mud, etc. So here are 2 more
> general questions:

>      1) Is it appropriate to send a portfolio with your resume? Most
>      adverts ask for a cover letter & resume. Outside of the game
>      industry, if they want a portfolio, they ask for one. I'm
>      wondering if a portfolio is implied with a resume for these
>      sorts of jobs.

I'd say no.  Definintely reference your work in your resume, but do
not include samples w/o asking first.  Some companies may be concerned
about lawsuits that have flown where someone acuses a company of
stealing an idea submitted to them... (Babylon 5 anyone?) standard
lawyer fears, etc.  List enough to intruige them, but hopefully have
them call you to ask for it.  At that point you have them on the
phone, which is a step in the right direction.  :)

>      2) At least for the bigger companies, the resumes are to go to
>      HR. Does a game designer/producer, etc, see the applications,
>      or are they triaged based on some semi-standard formula prior
>      to reaching the person who makes the decision?  Example of this
>      is medical schools, where for many schools, the cutoff is 10 X
>      GPA + MCAT score. If it's 70 or more, your application will
>      definitely be viewed by the admission committee. [The actual
>      number cutoff depends on what level of school, of course]. In
>      the case of the game industry, would there be something like 5
>      years MUD experience, CS degree, 1 game title, etc?

This will definitely vary from company to company, but most do use HR
to at least filter out the drek from the potential resumes before
anyone on a team will see them.  What criteria they use I can't speak
to... I'm not in HR.  But I know for a fact that a CS degree is not
required.  Heck, most of the designers I know have degrees in liberal
arts, or no degree at all.  Design is one of those nebulous areas
that, well, it's hard to say what makes a good designer, and 4+ years
at U. is certainly no indication.

But, yes, shipping that first title really does open doors for you.
It gives a lot of people something to compare to... most people in the
position to hire people have shipped at least one title, so they know
what it's like.  But, again, it's your standard catch 22... how can
you ship a title until you have the job?  They have to hire junior
people.  The key word there is Junior.  Expect to spend some time
there, to build your experience and your employer's confidence in you.

-Greg