[MUD-Dev] Virtual Good Value Assertion

Eric Rhea eric at enkanica.com
Tue May 29 14:20:35 CEST 2001

I have formulated a little form that attempts to construct the value
of a virtual good within a given world state by taking a number of
attributes about the system and the acquisitioning player within the
world-state by boiling them into a large pot that currently looks
oddly familiar to Jumbo souffl. It might need a dash of pepper. The
generated value is relative to the player, not the world state.

The big question is whether or not this works. Well, the short answer
is that I think it does. It seems to work so long as you don't attempt
top construct the price of a good based off of incomplete,
unrealistic, or low/high bound data sets.  Phew!

Your next question might be where it is. That one is easy enough:

 http://www.enkanica.com/MUD-DEV/Pg.htm

The form is reasonably well documented to describe the various
components.  At some point in the very near future I'd like to see
this algorithm out on IR's MUD Journal.

If anyone on the list is currently an admin or has proper access to
this kind of data and wouldn't mind trying this out (no logging
enabled), feel free to plop out a price check on an item or two. I'd
like to know if this algorithm produces results that are inline with
what has been shown in your experience. If it calculates a value that
is off in left field, a statement as to the system and how far it is
off would be immensely helpful.

Using what I know of EQ, this seems to work. It also seems to work for
D2.
My limited exposure to UO seems to bring fairly close results.

-Eric

Disclaimer:
"I am a *hobbyist* in the elements of game theory and design
and I make many mistakes. Let's hope this isn't the one --
especially if you have come to rely on it. Sorry!"