[MUD-Dev] JOB: How to get into Game Design / Game content

Richard Aihoshi aka Jonric jonric at vaultnetwork.com
Tue May 29 20:17:21 CEST 2001

At 01:25 PM 29/05/01 -0400, "Dave Rickey" <daver at mythicentertainment.com>
wrote:

> [...]

The first one I remember was Mike McCart who was hired by Ensemble
after running a fansite.  In addition, other hires from websites that
I can think of include one person from Lum the Mad, one from Baldur's
Gate Chronicles, one from Avault, one from the Evercrest comic strip,
and three from the Vault Network - four if I count Dave twice.  I
suspect there are quite a few more, not enough to make it a likely
career path, but not completely isolated examples either.

> It's definitely a visibility thing, having a webmaster-editorialist
> position for a major fansite makes you stand out from the crowd, you
> become someone the dev team knows by name (or at least by pseudonym)
> rather than one of the faceless mass.  However, it can work against
> you as well, Scott Jennings (aka Lum the Mad), in spite of a
> demonstrated grasp of the genre and experience in enterprise-level
> database programming, was not able to make the transition because of
> the baggage that came along with his website (I've had and will
> probably continue to have similar issues, since I tend to be a bit
> more outspoken than is strictly tactful).

In industry in general, most entry-, low- and even mid-level hiring
decisions are based on seemingly small things. By the time you get to
the final few candidates, their qualifications and abilities are
pretty much even overall since people who don't measure up have
already been eliminated from consideration, or if there is one
candidate who really stands out, there's effectively no decision to
make.

My feeling would be that visibility is one of the small things that
isn't likely to be a major factor in terms of getting to the final
candidate stage, but if you do make it that far, it can take on much
greater importance.