[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Programming languages (was: Neverwinter Nights)

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Wed May 30 03:02:06 CEST 2001

Regarding Neverwinter Nights ...

John W Pierce wrote:

> 2. What the scripting language looks like? I don't suppose it's
> going to have the power of LPC, ColdC or LambdaMOO, but is it going
> to at least be better than, say, the language used with the Baldur's
> Gate II engine?

But, is a regular imperative programming language really the most
useful thing in this sort of situation?

What about an declarative language, an constraint system, or even
something like a GUI programming environment like Labview?

Are the object models within those languages the most suitable for
that type of environment, or has more recent research over the years
turned up better models? How might something like the use of
aspect-oriented programming techniques change the class hierarchy or
the overall layout of the system?

(Although, these questions seem to be in opposition to the current
move among new mud projects to use more 'standard' languages like
Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.)

  - Bruce