[MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights

Gavin Doughtie gavin at well.com
Wed May 30 10:15:02 CEST 2001

John W Pierce wrote:

> This looks like it may have potential as an engine for small
> graphical MUDs.  Does anyone have any solid information on

>   1. What the licensing will be like? In particular, will people be
>   able to charge players for playing in the game world they create?

>   2. What the scripting language looks like? I don't suppose it's
>   going to have the power of LPC, ICE or LambdaMOO, but is it going
>   to at least be better than, say, the language used with the
>   Baldur's Gate II engine?

The demo I saw at E3 had a C-like scripting language with lots of
form-based script builder tools atop it. I also asked about licensing,
and it sounded like Bioware doesn't want you to make money selling
your worlds/expansions/levels. I would guess that means that you can't
charge to let people play in your dungeon either.

On an unrelated note, they don't have a first-person view either. I
find this to be disappointing, as I get a big cognitive thrill from
"looking out the eyes of" my avatar.

Gavin