[MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed May 30 10:26:08 CEST 2001

> On 29 May 2001 07:21, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Marc Bowden wrote:
>>> --On Thursday, May 24, 2001 2:27 AM +0000 Matt Mihaly

>>> I think it might be more accurate to say that Koreans socialize in
>>> different ways?

>> More focus on group cohesion and harmony, whereas the North
>> American players tend to focus on individual achievement and
>> competitive wealth, forging (at best) a shaky allegiance to a clan
>> or gang construct.

> That's a sweeping generalization that is not warranted in my
> experience. Come to Achaea and see how shaky those allegiances are.

I think that's a pretty sweeping generalisation too. Heck, look at
this quote from Jake Song that I just grabbed from
www.lumthemad.net. It contradicts the assertion completely.

  'Korean-made MMOGs are more goal-oriented in play style and more
  PvP-oriented than US games. I think it's due to the fact that the
  mood of society itself is toward high competition because the
  country is still under development compared to western worlds, which
  are more stable. I think a MUD style game is a mirror of the society
  on which it is based.'

Dan