[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Freeman Freeman
Thu May 31 13:12:11 CEST 2001

> From: SavantKnowsAll at cs.com [mailto:SavantKnowsAll at cs.com]

> The only way to include permadeath would be to design it to where
> it's almost impossible -- and in effect, nullifying the point of
> having it anyway.

That's not the only way to have permadeath.

> Gemstone III had permadeath, but unless you actually /tried/ to
> permadie, it was impossible -- So what was the point?  And on the
> flip side, if it weren't so difficult, would anyone really have
> played that game?  Maybe, you can argue -- but how many would have
> played after the first 6-12 months when they lost their investment?

Permadeath has been on Ackadia from day one.  Several people have
"died" and not a single one of them quit the game when they died
rather than starting over.  They didn't lose much of their investment
when they died.  There are certain things I did to make losing one
character less painful (and you only GET one character at a time on
Ackadia, incidentally), and even more that I could have done but
didn't think of at the time.

Odd that you would nail the challenge to implementing permanent death
without immediately coming up with the solution.

I suppose next you're going to say that player-policing can't work.
:)