[MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

Richard Aihoshi aka Jonric jonric at vaultnetwork.com
Thu May 31 21:24:46 CEST 2001

At 09:38 PM 31/05/01 +0000, Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2001 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
>>> On 29 May 2001 07:21, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> I think that's a pretty sweeping generalisation too. Heck, look at
>> this quote from Jake Song that I just grabbed from
>> www.lumthemad.net. It contradicts the assertion completely.

>>   'Korean-made MMOGs are more goal-oriented in play style and more
>>   PvP-oriented than US games. I think it's due to the fact that the
>>   mood of society itself is toward high competition because the
>>   country is still under development compared to western worlds,
>>   which are more stable. I think a MUD style game is a mirror of
>>   the society on which it is based.'

> That's an opinion, not a fact. And frankly, I don't see how a game
> could be more goal-oriented than, say, Everquest. (Ie your goal is
> to get the highest level and the best equipment. Nothing vague about
> that at all.)

Since this quote is not in its complete context, which is an
interview, it may not be clear that the main intent of the question to
which Jake was replying, and indeed of the entire interview, which is
one of a series, was to obtain Jake's opinions so they could be
compared and contrasted with the opinions of other prominent online
world developers.

These words have been isolated and used here in what seems to me a
similar but also somewhat different discussion.  In case anyone would
like to see the full interview, it was posted last Friday at

  http://rpgvault.ign.com/features/interviews/jsong.shtml

Cheers.

Richard Aihoshi - "Jonric"
RPG Vault, IGN Vault Network