[MUD-Dev] Respecting NPCs

Bruce Mitchener bruce at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 5 19:59:32 CET 2001

Joe Andrieu wrote:

> There are people working on this problem. Notably, some in the AI
> community (notably Joe Bates and Michael Mateas) are building
> believable NPCs with incredibly rich AI models with wants and
> needs and emotional states.  And their internal states matter to
> the unfolding story.  There are ways to have NPCs which are
> consistent with the world they live in and simultaneously
> contribute to an unfolding story.

I was assuming that you were referring to the work on Oz at CMU that
Joe Bates and Michael Mateas was engaged in:

  http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/oz/web/
  http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/oz/web/papers.html
  http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/oz/web/papers/CMU-CS-97-156.html

But over the last few years, there's been nothing said from that
group that I've seen, so I'd figured that they'd split up and moved
on.  Have they been publishing any research elsewhere on post-Oz
projects?

> Much could be done just by plugging NPCs into a global
> knowledgebase about the world's backstory or global story.  A
> simple version of

Just?

  - Bruce