[MUD-Dev] Respecting NPCs

Joe Andrieu jandrieu at caltech.edu
Tue Nov 6 15:34:16 CET 2001

From: Bruce Mitchener
> Joe Andrieu wrote:

>> There are people working on this problem. Notably, some in the AI
>> community (notably Joe Bates and Michael Mateas) are building
>> believable NPCs with incredibly rich AI models with wants and
>> needs and emotional states.  And their internal states matter to
>> the unfolding story.  There are ways to have NPCs which are
>> consistent with the world they live in and simultaneously
>> contribute to an unfolding story.

> I was assuming that you were referring to the work on Oz at CMU
> that Joe Bates and Michael Mateas was engaged in:

[snip]

> But over the last few years, there's been nothing said from that
> group that I've seen, so I'd figured that they'd split up and
> moved on.  Have they been publishing any research elsewhere on
> post-Oz projects?

Not much published by Bates. But they did form a company, Zoesis
http://www.zoesis.com with their initial product Otto and Iris.
http://www.ottoandiris.com Unfortunately, they seem to have shifted
their focus, so I'm not sure when we'll see more story stuff.  They
did present a pretty impressive demo in fall 1999 at a the fall AAAI
symposium on Narrative Intelligence.

Michael Mateas has been more active and is in fact the only member
of the Oz Group still at CMU.  His latest work (collaborating with
Andrew Stern) is Facade and can be found at
http://www.interactivestory.net, including their recent
publications.

>> Much could be done just by plugging NPCs into a global
>> knowledgebase about the world's backstory or global story.  A
>> simple version of

> Just?

Heh.  Well, the rumor mill isn't too hard. Especially if you have
active GMs running around managing stuff.  The more automated
systems are a bit trickier, but should still scale well.

-j

--
Joe Andrieu
Realtime Drama