[MUD-Dev] Role-Playing Games Are Not Dead

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Wed Nov 28 21:33:15 CET 2001

Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote on Friday, November 23 2001, 08:59:09:
> Lars Duening wrote:

>> The whole thread and this paragraph in particular brought to my
>> mind the development of movies as an art form.

> Are you talking about the Hollywood movie or movies in general?

Movies in general.

>> In the beginning, movie makers just put their camera somewhere
>> and filmed whatever happened there. Movies were real life
>> conserved, nothing more.

> You mean like trains crashing through the walls, or Disney's early
> animated movies?

Or just people walking on a street.

>> It wasn't until one moviemaker started to play with the
>> possibilities of the technology, namely the ability to cut and
>> paste the film, that the real possibilities of movies could be
>> explored. By developing their own language, movies became less
>> realistic, but much more compelling in the result.

> I'm not really sure what you mean really. In my view the artists
> do experiment a lot in the early phase of a new technology.

I mean that in the beginning people experiment with new technology,
but still look at established genres to inspiration on how to use
it. A new genre doesn't really take off until the technology is put
to uses impossible in other genres.

So looking at P&P games as example when trying to improve Muds/MMOGs
might no longer be the smartest thing to do.

But then again I am just a weekend driver hacker, so what do I know
:-)

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
PGP Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/pgp-lars.asc