[MUD-Dev] Player Manipulation of Environment/New Laws

Bruce Mitchener bruce at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 28 23:09:59 CET 2001

Paul Schwanz wrote:

> I think this is a result of the fact that MUDs offer player
> interactivity while narratives impose authorial will.

I'd like to know how strongly you feel that narratives impose
authorial will.  A narrative need not be a written work or one that
is published from some original work.  Narrative also includes the
art of storytelling, tracing its roots back to primitive man and
someone telling a story to an audience.  Telling a sotry to an
audience can be a highly interactive experience, with the audience
assisting in moving the story along, helping make choices in the
path of the story.  Try telling a story to a child one day. (Or look
at the opening to Pinocchio for a play on this.[1])

Depending on how you look at this, you can relate it back to what I
was speaking about in an earlier post last week about open texts and
open environments.

But, I'll freely admit that I'm not as well versed on the oral
narrative tradition as I'd like to be, and I know there are people
on the list who are. :)

  - Bruce

[1]: http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/C_Collodi/The_Adventures_of_Pinocchio/CHAPTER_1_p1.html