[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Mon Oct 1 11:06:10 CEST 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Brian Hook wrote:
> At 11:07 AM 9/28/01 +0200, Hans Henrik Stærfeldt wrote:

>> Muling comes in many forms. If you prevent players from
>> exchanging goods/funds as well, i can see your system working.

> The problem is that those expert mule traders will have to be
> friends (due to the one ship/character per server limit), and even
> if they weren't, trading involves traveling to places where you're
> going to be attacked (if you want it to be profitable at least).
> Being defenseless is a bad idea in such cases. =)

If you limit the game to one character pr. IP number, then I guess
that I cannot invite people over to my flat and play your game since
we're all going to share an IP through my NAT :-(

Besides, the whole point of the thought experiment was that since
you focus on the imposibility of being both an exellent trader and
an exellent fighter, I try to show you how people are going to try
and circumvent this limitation. The travellers will be perfect
'friends', since it will be the same person controlling them.

His fighter-ace character will defend all the ships, so they won't
be defenceless, and the mule-trader character(s) will make sure they
gain a profit. In short they will gain the expert trade skill as
well as the expert fighter skill.

The result could be a very heavy-handed economic advantage, that
might upset the balance of the game (which is why people are going
to try).

What I'm hinting at, is that you need some sort of player skill for
using a trade vessel, even if youre not going to defend yourself, so
simple scripting is impossible. This, I feel is the way of
preventing mules.

ps. I _am_ looking forward to the result :-)

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|