[MUD-Dev] in-game vs web-based boards (was: Geometric content generation)

Koster Koster
Mon Oct 1 15:15:41 CEST 2001

Yep.

> I'm just unsure whether handing out other players IPs is safe
> practise.

Definitely not, as many of the FPS players have discovered. I hear
Motor City Online is suffering from attacks as well, where people
intentionally lag out the other players because they have their IPs.

> I can just see the 3l!t3 HaX0rz building lists of people to try
> and hack using this info.

Yep.

> Actually routing it all through your game servers is just too
> expensive I'd guess. Maybe you could have a premium subscription
> to cover the cost.

And it would have to be a hefty surcharge to boot. :)

> Personally, I'm not sure I want voice comms in games. My computers
> are in the living room, and if I was to talk to them, I think my
> girlfriend would probably kill me ;)

Imagine the mixed voice/text world, where you see people saying
things to one another, but all you get is an icon indicating they
used voice. You have no way to reply in kind... :)

-Raph