[MUD-Dev] in-game vs web-based boards (was: Geometric content generation)

Bruce Mitchener bruce at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 1 22:37:14 CEST 2001

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> One thing thats struck me with VoIP (voice over IP) is that the
> most efficient implementation would probably be point to point
> between the players. I'm just unsure whether handing out other
> players IPs is safe practise. I can just see the 3l!t3 HaX0rz
> building lists of people to try and hack using this info. Actually
> routing it all through your game servers is just too expensive I'd
> guess. Maybe you could have a premium subscription to cover the
> cost.

Just looking at the statement about VoIP being the most efficient
implementation, I was reminded of this paper from Microsoft
Research:

http://research.microsoft.com/scripts/pubs/view.asp?TR_ID=MSR-TR-99-75

-- begin quote --
    One of the most robust findings in the sociological literature
    is the positive effect of communication on cooperation and
    trust. When individuals are able to communicate, cooperation
    increases significantly.  How does the choice of communication
    modality influence this effect? We adapt the social dilemma
    research paradigm to quantitatively analyze different modes of
    communication. Using this method, we compare four forms of
    communication: no communication, text-chat, text-to-speech, and
    voice. We found statistically significant differences between
    the various forms of communication, with the voice condition
    resulting in the highest levels of cooperation. Our results
    highlight the importance of striving towards the use of more
    advanced forms of communication in online environments,
    especially where trust and cooperation are essential. In
    addition, our research demonstrates the applicability of the
    social dilemma paradigm in testing the extent to which
    communication modalities promote the development of trust and
    cooperation.
-- end quote ---

The future work that they discuss in the paper sounds like it would
make for some interesting research.

  - Bruce