[MUD-Dev] in-game vs web-based boards (was: Geometric content generation)

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Tue Oct 2 09:59:55 CEST 2001

According to Koster, Raph:

> Imagine the mixed voice/text world, where you see people saying
> things to one another, but all you get is an icon indicating they
> used voice. You have no way to reply in kind... :)

You don't need voice to experience that.

Since a few patches ago, Dark Age of Camelot went like that.

DAoC's chat box has 5 default settings (local talk, shout, group
talk, friends chat, broadcast, if I remember right). Each settings
send the text you type to one mode, and filters what is displayed.

Since that patch, the group setting, by default, is set to display
ONLY text that is in group chat. Not even a directed /send is shown.

People are grumbling a lot, because people in groups naturally tend
to switch to the default group chat, and then their desperate
attempt to join a group are ignored: /send leader "I see you're
looking for members, I'm healer, can I join?" results in a small
star going up on the general panel title in the aforementioned
leader screen. That's all.

Very frustrating. You have to find the group, jump up and down and
do lots of antics to get their attention.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)