[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Fri Oct 5 18:01:05 CEST 2001

From: "rayzam" <rayzam at home.com>

> You don't really need humans to sit around for months testing
> these.  Just to expand, the same reward schedules have the same
> effects in a broad variety of species, up to, and including
> primates. So it's not a story just about rats. Also, there's a lot
> of strong correlation between drug addiction in rats [and some of
> these schedules for it] and in humans. The simplest level of
> addictive/reward systems is strongly homologous between rats and
> humans, at least for drugs like cocaine, morphine, etc.

I don't think comparing chemical dependcies to a game is quite
accurate, although most gamers are "addicted" in a way it's hardly
comparable to a chemical addiction.  Although players do respond to
rewards if they know that they are being rewarded, where the rewards
system fails is that humans being somewhat smarter than all of the
above weight their decisions to the maximum (to the best of their
knowledge) potential for reward.  The ability to predict what a
human would do decreases exponentially to the factors involved.
Different people will behave differently given their experience with
similar systems.

-- Kwon Ekstrom