[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sat Oct 6 15:09:58 CEST 2001

Brian Hook posted on Friday, October 05, 2001 6:15 PM

> Of course, pure powergamers hate this type of system because they
> want to become uberpowerful tank mages (in space =) ) without
> sacrificing anything.

Entropy is the spice of life.  Games that have unlimited power
levels can only sustain the mythical "I'll be the best ever"
syndrome so far.  Eventually, one PC clearly outstrips all others --
because in reality, in a limitless power system, the power is
ultimately defined by the other PCs in the game.  When this happens,
that player gets bored (if he's a GOPer anyway).

Should players be punished for existing?  No.  Should they be
challenged by having entropic decay in everything they own,
including their own virtual bodies?  Hell yes!  That's what creates
motivation, strife, heroics, selfish acts, jealousy, fear, love, and
hate.

Want a bunch of brats with complete disregard for each other as
intelligent beings?  Give them god-bodies, where they don't age,
don't have to eat, don't have to sleep, don't have to exercise to
achieve anything.  When you don't have entropy gnawing at your PCs,
then the only influencing structure is social.  And if your game
started out without social reinforcement, those brats will get
WORSE.

There's a familiar myth about god-bodies and a snake.  Parallels
apply to a new MMORPG that creates a "nothing but up" universe.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien