[MUD-Dev] Psychology and game design (Was Geometric content generation)

Sat Oct 6 23:49:01 CEST 2001

Dave Rickey wrote:

> Actually, I'm finding it more convenient to think of them as ants,
> lately. ;-)

Well, I can't blame John for that, or can I? :)

Actually, ants would be good, that would mean that your games have
many viable roles available for your players, that they really
cooperate and that they are being constructive. ;)

> Behaviouristic theories applied to player actions accounts for an
> awful lot of what is otherwise bizzarre and inexplicable
> behaviour.  They aren't sufficient in and of themselves, mostly
> what it helps with is accounting for when players *don't* behave
> "rationally" (in the game theory meaning).

Unless you believe in bounded rationality of course.  Hmm, I don't
really see bizarre behaviour in MUDs, but... What was you thinking
of?

> > That is respect as in research, not as in design and ethics.  It
> may not be interesting to an academic researcher in psychology.
> To me, I find the psychological and sociological aspects of games
> fascinating.

Oh, yes, I think they are, but I am a researcher in design.  Hoping
to bridge the gaps (in the long run).

--
Ola  -  http://folk.uio.no/olag/