[MUD-Dev] Request for ideas

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Tue Oct 9 10:29:10 CEST 2001

From: "Leland Hulbert II" <lhulbert at hotmail.com>

> An idea that has some merit, is to combine the two.  Create a
> "one-way" ecosystem.  Have some virtual area of the mud where
> Orcs, rabbits, whatever breed and multiply.  Allow them to wander
> away in to the "real" MUD whenever population is high enough.
> Tweak the virtual area so that you get a consistent immigration
> into your MUD.  This prevents extinction (even if your virtual zoo
> dies off, it's simple to tweak the parameters and start over.)
> Keep the rules the same in the "real" mud, and your players will
> see what looks like a real ecology, not knowing that it is being
> seeded by some source that they can't destroy.

Why?

How is this any different that typical spawning methods?  How does
it look any different at all to the player?  You could just pick a
random range for a traditional spawn timer, and get the same effect.
Sounds like a lot of work to do exactly what's already being done.

Besides, the point of the matter is that players want to have the
capability to destroy.  They want their actions to affect the world,
for better or worse.  Admittedly, that requires much larger
ecosystems, much closer to real scale, but I'd argue that scale
needs to increase anyway, at least for the games I want to play.

Now, if I could just convince people that it's actually a good thing
that it takes real-time hours of walking just to get to the nearest
town (or a few minutes flying), I'd be in good shape.

:)