[MUD-Dev] UDP Revisited

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Fri Oct 12 21:31:03 CEST 2001

At 04:22 PM 10/12/01 +0100, Daniel Harman wrote:

> I have 'Unix Network Programming' on my desk, and whilst a useful
> basis for adding reliability to UDP, its not ideally suited to a
> game.

Also take a look at the RTP (Reliable Transport Protocol) RFC.

> His example is based upon synchronous request-replies, with both
> packets having to carry a timestamp.

There's a mailing list that I help admin for games algorithms hosted
at sourceforge called gd-algorithms and it has a recent thread about
this, check out the archives from today and yesterday.

  http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/4856/0/

> is. Every single article I have read has a different value, and
> whilst I know the theoretical max (64k) its not too helpful as
> that's considerably larger than any router is likely to tolerate.
> If anyone knows the real value, I'd be grateful for their input.

For some reason 512 bytes sticks out in my head, but I'm not sure
why =)

Brian