[MUD-Dev] TCP Vegas

Eli Stevens listsub at wickedgrey.com
Mon Oct 15 10:49:04 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Martin" <ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com>

> Quick question for people comparing TCP to UDP: Which TCP are you
> talking about? I was taught, for instance, that TCP Vegas was not
> yet in usage everywhere (despite now being 6 years old?), and
> certainly anything prior to that is generally inferior (including
> TPC Reno which AFAIAA is the main form used).

> For a quick intro to the differences, see

>   http://www.cs.arizona.edu/protocols/

> Although I can't seem to find any information on the web about
> which ones are currently used where. Probably looking in the wrong
> places.

Is this something that could be switched out at the application
level (presumably by a different set of libraries)?  Or is this
something closer to the OS / network driver level?

If it is just the libraries one uses, does anyone have any pointers
to free libraries that implement it (Linux in particular ;)?

More info!  More info!  :)
Eli

--
>From Yahoo! News, June 4th, 2001: