[MUD-Dev] UDP Revisted

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Mon Oct 15 18:45:59 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>

> Do you have non-reliable packets in DAoC Dave? I have no intention
> on even resending location/heading information packets if they go
> missing. I figure its easier to wait for the next update tick and
> re-send than to go through a resend which is going to take
> 200ms+ping (round trip) assuming the first resend gets through.

In all truth, I'm not certain, I gleaned most of this from a
conversation with one of the programmers a few months ago, and
they've been through several rounds of optimization since then.  I
do know that some data is considered critical to update, and will be
resent if it doesn't come through (the player's health/power/fatigue
status, and anything intended for the chat windows or to open a
dialog box).

> AO is the only large multiplayer game I know that uses TCP. It
> exhibits the symptoms mentioned above.

UO was TCP-only at launch, and pure hell to play on a modem with any
PL at all, those problems *and* rubberbanding from client/server
desynch that could only be cleared by doing nothing for several
seconds.

--Dave Rickey