[MUD-Dev] DAoC dev team (was: MMORPG Comparison (UO, EQ, AC, AO, DAoC))

Brian Hook brianhook at pyrogon.com
Wed Oct 17 15:10:09 CEST 2001

Robin Lee Powell said:

> Of course, my memory is absolutely pathetic, so that may have
> something to do with it.  Also, I've had to take over large pieces
> of undocumented code from others.  It's a nightmare.

I don't believe in documentation, and barely even believe in
comments.  The reason is pretty simple: you can spend as much time
writing comments/docs as you do code, and inevitably they get out of
sync.

Code doesn't lie, comments do. And there is no worse feeling than
"debugging" something only to find out that it was never broken --
the comments were just out of date.

I also believe that if you can't understand what code is doing the
first time you glance at it, then there are better than even odds
that the code is written poorly.

Well written code should read like prose.  It's when it reads like
code that you have problems.

Brian