[MUD-Dev] Extreme Programing

Ling Lo ling at slimy.com
Thu Oct 18 01:56:17 CEST 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 04:24:27PM +0200, Ola Fosheim Gr?stad wrote:

>> Extreme Programming is a methodology based on the idea that "what
>> is worth doing" should be done to the extreme, and what is not
>> all that useful should not be done at all. Thus no case tools, no
>> documentation (except comments),

> Now _that_ part I'm not happy with.  Everything else I mostly by,
> although I like design documentation.

During the development process, asides from index cards, that is pretty
much true.  As I remember, Kent Beck did actually say document the
architecture at the end of the development burst which is great.  Only
documenting functions and classes usually isn't enough, I want to know
"why?" things were done the way they were.  'Course, during the
development cycle in XP, the architecture of the project is liable to
change.

Seems to me most architectural docs don't answer the "why".
Usually, the specs just state "this is the way things are", maybe a
promotion of understanding would help (instead of: these specs are
stupid, why didn't they do Y as opposed to X?).  XP isn't as chaotic
as it sounds although the paired programming might be a bit much at
first - XP Installed is available as a PDF:

   <URL:http://www.xprogramming.com/xpublications.htm>

XP Explained should be read in addition to the above (and no,
there's no riding a bike off a mountain during XP).

_O_O_ ling at slimy.com