[MUD-Dev] Proposed Law

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Oct 19 01:50:45 CEST 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Adam Martin wrote:

> I think the point is that if you *do* destroy content as part of
> your gameplay, then you have a major problem, which is typically
> solved in say EQ by the grossly disbelievable system of
> respawning. Yeah, the basic noughts and ones still exist, on the
> server somewhere as a mob template (or whatever), but you've got
> to come up with reasons why these things keep coming back to life
> (or do as 90% of the stuff out there does and not even bother
> trying to explain what is possibly the most [obviously - like a
> sore thumb] unrealistic part of the games).

It's no more grossly disbelievable than any system of magic I've
ever seen. It's no more grossly disebelivable than the fact that you
have to eat in many of these worlds, but never have to defecate or
urinate.

Is it believable in chess that the queen rather than, say, the
knight is the most powerful piece? No, and it doesn't
matter. Internal consistency matters, and the queen is more powerful
in chess. In most MUDs, mobiles come back to life. So do players,
for that matter. It happens every time, or nearly every time, and
that's really what matters.

--matt