[MUD-Dev] Expectations of in-game reality

Freeman Freeman
Thu Oct 25 07:52:11 CEST 2001

> From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]

> So why are all of us (including myself) willing to accept
> fire-breathing dragons more quickly than respawning mobs as 'real'
> within the fiction of the world? Is it because fire-breathing
> dragons have a long tradition of being an element of 'fantasy'
> worlds?

Internal consistency.  Most of the fantasy MUDs I've seen have
quests involving death ("The Orc King killed my father.  *sob* Go
kill him to avenge my father."), undead - which at least implies
that there must be some sort of plain old 'dead', graveyards with
gravestones (and presumably something buried there), etc.

There's death and rumors of death all over the place, but the
in-game reality is that no one Ever dies.

'Course the issue of consistency doesn't have to be resolved by
introducing death.  It could be resolved by having all the NPCs to
stop pretending that some other NPC died, deleting the graveyards,
and so on.