[MUD-Dev] Expectations of in-game reality

Paul Schwanz paul.schwanz at east.sun.com
Thu Oct 25 10:14:28 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> Anyway, I don't have time to think about it right now, but I'd be
> interested in hearing opinions as to why something like the humgii
> is believable yet something like mob-respawning is not. There's
> some perceived (it's not really a real distinction either, as both
> are ridiculous if thought of in context of the physical world)
> distinction between the two, and I can't put my finger any closer
> than, "I know it when I see it." (which is utterly unsatisfying).

For me, I think the distinction is centered around the role of the
"magic."  Sure, you can say that the respawns are simply another
form of magic, but it is too easy for me to see the hand behind the
curtain.  A rose by any other name...and all that.  You can call it
what you like, but it is easily recognized as a shabbily dressed
kluge to cover up the fact that a very cheap method for reusing
content has been implemented.

On the other hand, the magic of a dragon is seen to be present more
for story and fantasy.  There is really no other game function that
is trying to be covered up.

As I understand the humgii, it would appear to fall somewhere
between the two.  It is still a sort of kluge, but at least it isn't
the cheapest kluge available.  Besides, the very name suggests that
it might add a touch of humor to the story world.

So, for me, I think that I am willing to accept the "magic"
explanation more readily when the magic adds more to story and is
seen less as a kluge to cover the cheapest game method for getting
something done.

All opinion.

--Phinehas