[MUD-Dev] Respecting NPCs

Brian Hook brianhook at pyrogon.com
Thu Oct 25 16:03:35 CEST 2001

> On Behalf Of J C Lawrence

> What is the critical difference between a system which silently
> and officiously kills all players who do X offense,

Solely intent, as far as I can see.  A "town guard" is ostensibly
there to enforce a certain amount of civility.  "Monsters" however,
are supposed to be fodder.  The former is not intended to be killed,
only to kill when provoked.  The latter is intended to be killed,
and will kill unprovoked (in general).  Of course, this also assumes
a certain type of game.

The fact that they both kill you is a commonality, but the rationale
behind their actions is vastly different.

Whether that's a real distinction I guess is up to you =)

Brian