[MUD-Dev] Proposed Law

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Thu Oct 25 18:09:12 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaly writes:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Paul Schwanz wrote:

>> What if I could own a house with a few acres, build a fenced in
>> area, put a cow and bull together, and breed them, while trying
>> to keep the wolves from stealing calves?  I'd probably milk some,
>> breed others, kill a few from time to time, and hunt down any
>> wolves I spotted nearby...and I'd probably still be playing AC.

> I'd come kill your cow.

A continue part of the problem with rewarding destruction.  Those
who choose to create are opposed by players who find that
destruction is entertaining according to the rules of the game.

Ignoring pure grief actions, which are self-motivating, if you don't
get anything from killing somebody else's cow, then you won't do it.
The inability to kill somebody else's livestock is artificial in the
same sense that the player attachment to a character is artificial.
The latter requires the former.

JB