[MUD-Dev] The function of NPCs in novels versus MUDs

Fri Oct 26 13:05:13 CEST 2001

Given the interesting NPC discussion, it might be worthwhile to
discuss the difference between reading a book and playing a MUD when
it comes to dealing with secondary characters (NPCs).  Alice's
adventures in wonderland was brought up, as an example.

What hits me as the most obvious difference is that in fiction the
other characters may alienate the the main character ("don't disturb
me", "you are in the way", "you are not welcome", characters
preoccupied with their own business) and thus invoke transference
from our own childhood experiences, making Alice a believable child
we can identify with. I.e.  the reader is tied to the world, by the
world's rejection of the main character, which we can empathise
with. This probably does not work in a MUD, because I _am_ the main
character.  In order to be tied to the world we need to feel
accepted and validated by it...?

Still, the world may become more believeable, given the AI-problem,
if NPCs do insist on minding their own business, looking at players
as fairly annoying vermins. If one accept that, one has to accept
that the role of the secondary characters (NPCs) in books and MUDs
are somewhat different. We can only be tied to the world through the
occupations it provides plus relations to other
players. Ehrmm... Now, none of this is clear cut, obviously a newbie
can feel at home if he meets a Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck NPC...

Thoughts?

--
Ola  -  http://folk.uio.no/olag/