[MUD-Dev] ADMIN: Recent outages

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Oct 29 23:49:18 CET 2001

Writing as list owner:

  Kanga.Nu was the subject of a Denial Of Service attack yesterday
  and in the early hours of this morning.  The attack mostly came in
  two forms:

    Port scans/connects

      eg: 1.2Million connections to port 32772 between 03:21hrs
      and 03:47hrs (all seem to have forged source addresses, such
      as 0.0.0.0, various broadcast addresses, etc).

    Bandwidth saturation:

      eg two simultaneous WGET mirrors of ftp.kanga.nu that ran
      continuously (looping) from a couple high bandwidth systems in
      Denmark.

  Per the logs Kanga.Nu actually withstood this quite well.  It
  continued to (slowly) serve web pages, accept and send mail, etc
  during the attacks.  What finally brought Kanga.Nu to its knees
  was the logfiles growing too big (eg /var/log/syslog grew almost a
  Gig in less than 2 hours, along with 5 other log files pacing it),
  a circumstance I had unfortunately not adequately prepared for.

  There's a variety of other suspicious log traffic going on, but
  sorting it out will take time and care.

    Once I finish inspecting and detail checking the system, mail
    and other services will come back up.  This should happen
    tonight.

    Lists and other activities should be back on line about the same
    time.

    Moderation may not happen before Weds.

--
J C Lawrence