[MUD-Dev] Benchmarking MUDs

Bruce Mitchener bruce at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 6 06:42:39 CEST 2001

Chris Gray wrote:

>> From: Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com>

>> How could we benchmark MUDs? In other words, how could we test
>> them under the exact same conditions?

> That's one of the key questions. Others include:

>     Just what aspects of MUDs could or should be benchmarked?
>     How do you compare a softcoded MUD to a hardcoded MUD?
>     How do you compare a graphical MUD to a straight text MUD?
>     How do you abstract out the network connection in use?

One thing that I think is missing from this is any sort of
understanding of how the various codebases actually work, what they
do under the hood and how that impacts the usage of them.

That can be determined by reading the source, but I'd think that
that sort of information would have to be presented before or along
side of any benchmark data for the benchmark data to have any value
whatsoever.

I've been trying to find information like that on some aspects of
the existing set of servers for a website that I've been working on,
and it can be hard.  Even finding a document that gives a brief
technical overview of a server can be hard.  There isn't one for
CoolMUD, Cold, or many others.  DGD had a nice post that Chris Allen
had made to MUD-Dev some time ago that describes it.  But a lot of
the other servers have nothing or very little.

If anyone has that sort of technical document for a server that
they're working with or on, I'd love to hear from you off-list so
that I could incorporate that information into the site that I'm
working on.

  - Bruce