[MUD-Dev] Structured Social Play

Daniel Bendiksen spamreceiver at smalltowncomputers.com
Thu Sep 6 14:23:51 CEST 2001

From: Christopher Allen

> I agree with Tom that trying to attract the "casual" gamer has
> some serious problems because the key to these games is the
> socialization and it is very hard to socialize in 20 minutes in
> all but long-term strategic (i.e. turn based) games.

One thing that turn based games provide EASY access to that none of
the MUDs I've been in does is offline communications.

In every MUD I've been in, if you want to read/write email, you have
to trek to a post office and do your actions there.

A pretense for making email easier would be to make the email system
"mental", meaning they can just think about it (i.e. issue a command
anywhere in the MUD) and send/receive email.

Another thing that turns me off about mud email is how shockingly
primitive it is! It's almost like someone created a crude line entry
method and thought "operational. I'll make it better later", but
then never got back to it.