[MUD-Dev] Structured Social Play

Daniel Bendiksen spamreceiver at smalltowncomputers.com
Thu Sep 6 14:33:17 CEST 2001

From: Vincent Archer

> pre-planned. And even then. I've already logged in Anarchy Online
> "just for an implant and transfer of a few object", and my
> scheduled 20mn always stretch to one hour or more. And that's not
> because of travel times or bugs or whatever. When I do this on my
> own, it takes me 10-15mn tops.

Something I've strongly noticed about MUDs is the "confusion
factor". Okay, you're not really confused, but you DO have all that
text splashing on your screen helter-skelter. Chat lines mixed in
with fight lines, or (if you're walking quick) chat lines getting
nearly lost in the tide of room descriptions and movement commands.

Has anyone ever thought about allowing chat lines (and maybe other
lines) to be sent to a different telnet session? This would entail
having the user logged into your server multiple times, but would
allow a very nice clean up of certain elements of the game output.

I use a multi-window capable MUD client and triggers to capture my
important text to a separate window. It often takes me a lot of time
to setup these triggers for a given MUD. A multi-session MUD would
reduce this need considerably!