[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Derek Licciardi kressilac at home.com
Wed Sep 19 19:59:14 CEST 2001

I am not sure I agree with this.  In light of the situation that has
occured in the US over the past weeks, many of us would like to
factor out the greater system and just blow up the entire middle
east.  It is the fact that this would have side effects(WWIII, oil
shortages...) that has kept this from happening.  Those complexities
are in the political and social arena which I believe can never be
completely disected into a single optimum strategy. Since these are
controlled by systems outside of combat through diplomacy, trade,
and social skill I would argue that there would be just enough
ambiguity introduced into the whole system, such that even the more
quantifiable combat system might not be able to be figured out(what
are the ramifications of this strategy in the political and social
arena).  By building depth and complexity that increases the
variation on social gameplay, I do think it is possible to build a
game that can not be algorithmically analyzed and distilled down to
a single formula.  Humans are a tough lot to figure out on the
whole.

Derek