[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Thu Sep 20 17:40:58 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>

> A better comparison in my mind, would be with Starcraft. It has
> three distinct sets of pieces and a reasonable semblence of
> balance even though the tactics for each team are both different
> and deep. Of course starcraft slipped several years due to this
> balancing, and they only had three sides to balance instead of the
> 10-20 classes most RPGs seem to go for.

> Perhaps the easiest way to approach balancing is to throw out
> classes, make everything skill based, and allow reallocation of
> skill points. That way players can explore the system, discover
> the lesser skills, drop them and stay happy. It also allows you to
> modify skills without players getting too upset since they can
> always add and remove it. Hmm, isn't that what SWG is doing
> anyway?

Wouldn't this just lead to even more min-maxing? I'm fuzzy on it at
the moment, but I thought even in the new big skill based systems,
there were classes of skills, so you could get the lesser skills
without it costing from the overall. Not sure if that was for SWG or
for one [or more] of the upcoming commercial releases.

    rayzam