[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Sep 21 09:55:33 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: rayzam [mailto:rayzam at home.com]

Well without remembering the specifics of a given game, there are
degrees of subtletly in the newer systems. Such as trade skills
being from a seperate pool of skill points and skills being tree
based. My point was that if a skill isn't any use, no one will use
it, and you can prune it out the game, if its good, someone will
want it. If every single player is developing a character to exactly
one archtype, then the pricing of those skills is wrong - they
should be more expensive so you can't get everything desirable.

Whilst class based games are easier for the designers to pigeon hole
roles in, I think true balance is more likely if you let the players
do it. After all, they are just one massive genetic
algorithm. Allowing the re-investment of points is key however, as
this allows people to go against percieved wisdom of a given
archtype and see for themselves. I don't believe people should ever
have to re-roll a character because of decisions they made early in
their game career - its just an possible exit point from your game.

Dan