[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Apr 1 08:19:43 CEST 2002

From: <amanda at alfar.com>

> Remember: DAOC is not open to the public.  It is a dues-paying
> members-only club.

Remember also that Mythic does not have any right to ban me from
SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Mythic allegedly went to eBay and said "BSI cannot sell that" and
eBay forbade them to sell it.

That's where the financial damages are. When Mythic prevents BSI
from conducting business OFF the DAoC server, it is not their right
or privilege to do so. They may certainly ban BSI from their servers
for doing it, and if they do so then how to complete the transaction
is entirely BSI's problem...  but Mythic does not have the time and
resources to locate and ban all BSI's accounts or identify and
prevent all BSI's transactions, so they decided to go and do
something else -- because what they had the RIGHT to do was not an
acceptable solution to them.

And that is wrong. I fully understand why they might do it, and that
they might have very good reasons to do it, but the fact remains
that they have no right to do it. So if they did it, which is not by
any means established, BSI has a definite case. I don't think they'd
be getting their accounts back, but they'd still have a case.