[MUD-Dev] Anyone got anything to say about swamps?

shren shren at io.com
Mon Apr 1 14:27:03 CEST 2002

I might accept the duties of writing some material for an online
game, specifically a swamp.  Out of all of the areas available for
coding, the swamp most appealed to me because of the design
challenges.  To me, the goal with a swamp is to make it a miserable,
unhappy place to be (IC and almost to a degree OOC, as well) without
resorting to the 'hordes of monsters' technique.

Some of my ideas involve getting lost, problems with armor, problems
with things that can get wet (mainly torches), and so forth.  Which
leads me to a pair of questions.

  1) Does anyone who has done a swamp, in any RPG, have any comments
  about making your swamp "swampy"?

  2) Has anyone designed an area in an online game that was
  intentionally unpleasant to visit?  Did the players go there?  Did
  they complain when they did?  Do you feel that the area added to
  your game?

--
http://www.shren.net

 xxx