[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Apr 2 11:47:57 CEST 2002

From: "Tammie Gorzelsky" <tammie.gorzelsky at jda.com>

> I believe that this is an incorrect assumption. Take this example:
> You have an ancient piece of rock that has some hieroglyphics on
> it.  You do not read hieroglyphics, yet you have the rock. Does
> this mean the rock does not exist?

No, but the hieroglyphics constitute a message, and if I cannot
discern the message it could be argued that the *message* does not
exist. Likewise, the data may represent a character, but if I cannot
construct or obtain a program that will interpret the data as
representing a character it may very well be said that there *is* no
character.