[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Wed Apr 3 09:02:57 CEST 2002

Marian Griffith writes:
> In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Mon 01 Apr, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
>> From: <amanda at alfar.com>

>>> Remember: DAOC is not open to the public.  It is a dues-paying
>>> members-only club.

>> Remember also that Mythic does not have any right to ban me from
>> SOMEWHERE ELSE.  Mythic allegedly went to eBay and said "BSI
>> cannot sell that" and eBay forbade them to sell it.

> Actually, they can do just that if the original contract between
> Mythic and BSI forbade the later to sell items they acquired in
> the game outside of it.  In that case Mythic has every right to go
> to eBay and say that BSI is not allowed to sell those items.

I think it boils down to an issue of perceptions here.  Caliban is
suggesting bullying actions on Mythic's part, where Mythic TOLD eBay
to stop BSI's sales.  I'm assuming, and I think Marian is as well,
that Mythic NOTIFIED eBay of the fact that BSI's actions were in
conflict with Mythic's EULA.  eBay, not Mythic, made the decision to
shut down BSI's sales.  Perhaps even at Mythic's request, but eBay
made the decision.  I could notify eBay that Bubba is selling stuff
that makes me teary-eyed because of the memories it brings back.
That's not going to cause eBay to choose to shut down Bubba's sales.
Even if I request that they do.

In short, eBay appears to agree with Mythic's claim.

JB