[MUD-Dev] TECH: Complex NPCs

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 3 10:42:25 CEST 2002

From: "Robert Zubek" <rob at cs.northwestern.edu>

> Furthermore, the attraction function is usually nonlinear with
> respect to the sim's needs - for example, attraction of the fridge
> as a function of hunger might be superlinear (ie. very strong when
> hungry, much weaker when not quite so hungry), while the
> attraction of other people as function of social needs might be
> sublinear (ie. weak only when feeling socially 'fulfilled', quite
> strong otherwise), etc.

Also, certain objects are more attractive to Sims based on their
personality.  So that a Creative sim would tend more toward the
paint easle for fun (even if the Fun score was lower on the Easle
than the Big Screen TV), while a Lazy sim would head to the
couch/TV.

Sims will also use the correct bed/side of the bed after you direct
them there the first couple of times.  They'll figure out that's
their bed, and won't sleep in somebody else's bed next time they lay
down (unless their bed is missing or otherwise occupied).  There are
a few other tasks that they will "learn" if you teach them, but I
can't think of them offhand.

I can't figure out if Sims can trip their own Love Trigger or not.
I have run experiments on this, but none of them have ever worked
out.  And I can't figure out if I'm running the wrong experiment, or
if it just doesn't work.

It is fun to game the AI.  :)

Madrona Tree.