[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Apr 3 16:03:34 CEST 2002

From: "Fred Clift" <fred at clift.org>
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
>> From: <amanda at alfar.com>

>>> Remember: DAOC is not open to the public.  It is a dues-paying
>>> members-only club.

>> Remember also that Mythic does not have any right to ban me from
>> SOMEWHERE ELSE.

>> Mythic allegedly went to eBay and said "BSI cannot sell that" and
>> eBay forbade them to sell it.

> Actually, ebay doesn't have to respond to Mythic's request, but
> happily does respond to such requests in many cases.

That would be because if eBay does not respond to such a statement,
and the statement is later shown to be true, eBay can be sued for
contributory infringement. If it proves to be false, eBay is not
liable because they had a statement from a third party -- so only
that third party is liable.

In other words, if eBay pulls the auction, they cannot possibly
lose. If they don't, they could be sued for God only knows how much
money. Which would you do?