[MUD-Dev] [DGN] [NEWBIE] Suggestions on (OO) Server Design.

Greg Munt greg.munt at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 4 01:46:20 CEST 2002

From: Pure Krome <muddev at world-domination.com.au>

>  I'm trying to construct an OO server design for your standard
>  run-o-the-mill mud, with a MySQL Database Backend.

>  I'm assuming this concept has been risen a few times [1], so I'm
>  wondering if anyone would have any links to some 'successful'
>  mud-dev threads, where this has been discussed.

There is a whole lot more to OO than implementation inheritance. In
fact, I'd say that in many cases it is the wrong approach. I prefer
to think of OO in terms of patterns, composition, encapsulation,
polymorphism and interface (not user interface!) design - and then
some. Inheritance tends to get overused in my opinion.

BUT.. If you are just asking about abstracting common elements from
world objects, it has been done. I believe that MOO means "MUD,
Object Oriented", but I could be wrong. LambdaMOO in particular
seems to ring a bell.

I'd question the logic of choosing a relational data store in
conjunction with an object oriented design. Really. The two concepts
are not really compatible. That's not to say you can't get them to
work together. I tend to think that OO inevitably breaks in the
regions of relational database storage and user
interface. Principally because they demand exposure of data. It
feels like you are thinking of a solution before you have considered
the problem.

Also, I'd LOVE to know what a "standard run-o-the-mill mud" is :)